Sleep Awareness Week is here! Throughout this week, we encourage you to prioritize your sleep in order to improve your overall health and well-being. This year’s theme is “Sleep Better. Feel Better.” and our goal is for you to get enough sleep and feel well rested.
Don’t know where to begin when it comes to good sleep? NSF has got your back. Here are some tips that may help you #SleepBetterFeelBetter. When you’re done, watch our Sleep Awareness Week video to learn more.
- Turn off all electronics an hour before bed. That includes laptops, tablets, or smartphones. If you’re reading before bed, consider paper format.
- Try not to eat a huge meal before bedtime. If you feel hungry around that time, try eating a small healthy snack instead!
- Reduce your caffeine intake eight hours before going to bed. Try drinking caffeine-free tea such as chamomile, ginger, or peppermint.
- Feeling stressed? Try mediation or light yoga as a relaxation technique. Scents can also help transport you to dreamland. Try using an aromatherapy diffuser with vanilla, valerian and jasmine to help you feel relaxed and calm.
- Keep your bedroom temperature cool around 60-67 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Try blackout curtains or use a sleep mask if you feel your bedroom isn’t dark enough.