The Beautyrest Black features multiple foam comfort layers, advanced coils, and customization options for shoppers. This hybrid mattress is one of the Beautyrest models produced by Simmons Bedding. Established in 1925, Simmons Bedding has a longstanding history of producing high-quality mattresses.
In addition to the Beautyrest Black, which we cover in this review, the Simmons Beautyrest product line includes the Beautyrest Hybrid, the Beautyrest Harmony Lux Diamond, and the Beautyrest Harmony Lux Carbon. The Beautyrest Black is the most expensive model in the Beautyrest product line. Buyers can select upgrades to customize the mattress and boost its temperature-regulating and pressure-relieving qualities.
We’ll review the performance and construction of this luxury hybrid mattress to help you decide if the Beautyrest Black mattress is the best mattress for you. Our verdict is based on extensive product testing, research, and verified customer reviews. We’ll also break down the mattress in terms of construction and feel, and take a closer look at the company’s shipping, return, and warranty policies
Beautyrest Mattresses At-A-Glance
|Beautyrest Black||Beautyrest Hybrid|
|Firmness||Medium (5)||Medium (5)|
Beautyrest Black Mattress Review: Our Verdict
The hybrid construction of the Beautyrest Black balances moderate contouring with full-body support. The medium firmness makes it an ideal choice for side and back sleepers who weigh less than 230 pounds, and stomach sleepers who weigh less than 130 pounds. The foam comfort layers cushion pressure points and reduce tension throughout the body.
It’s a good fit for many couples, assuming both parties are primarily back or side sleepers. The mattress is easy to move around on, but it still limits motion transfer and sleep disturbances for those who share the bed. Most hot sleepers will find that the mattress has a temperature neutral feel, but Cooling and Cooling + Comfort upgrades can provide additional breathability
Shoppers on a limited budget may find the higher price point of the Beautyrest Black less accessible than the brand’s other mattresses. The Beautyrest Hybrid is a more affordable option.
|Choose The Beautyrest Black if...||
|Keep Shopping if...||
How Much Is the Beautyrest Black Mattress?
In general, shoppers should expect to spend $1,500 to $2,000 on a new hybrid mattress. The price of the Beautyrest Black is on the higher end of this average. That said, it is a luxury model made with high-quality materials and a durable construction. This gives shoppers value for their money, as the mattress should last for a long time. As an added benefit, Beautyrest offers free White Glove delivery.
The two upgrade options available for the Beautyrest Black increase the price significantly. The Cooling and the Cooling + Comfort upgrades allow buyers to customize the construction and overall feel of the mattress. Those who tend to sleep hot or need additional pressure point relief may find the added investment worthwhile.
Please note the Beautyrest Black is not sold in a twin size.
|Twin XL||40” x 81” x 13”||64 lbs.||Original: $1,699
Cooling Upgrade: $2,199
Cooling + Comfort Upgrade: $2,399
|Full||55” x 76” x 13”||84 lbs.||Original: $1,979
Cooling Upgrade: $2,479
Cooling + Comfort Upgrade: $2,679
|Queen||61” x 81” x 13”||104 lbs.||Original: $2,099
Cooling Upgrade: $2,699
Cooling + Comfort Upgrade: $2,899
|King||78” x 81” x 13”||133 lbs.||Original: $2,599
Cooling Upgrade: $3,399
Cooling + Comfort Upgrade: $3,599
|California King||73” x 85” x 13”||140 lbs.||Original: $2,599
Cooling Upgrade: $3,399
Cooling + Comfort Upgrade: $3,599
How Does the Beautyrest Black Mattress Feel?
The Beautyrest Black offers pressure relief without conforming too closely. Since the foam comfort system is composed of polyfoam comfort layers with a thinner memory foam layer beneath, most sleepers will find that the mattress does not hug the body or sink too deeply.
The mattress is considered a medium (5) in terms of firmness, and most sleepers find they sleep “on” the mattress rather than “in” it. The coil base adds bounce and edge-to-edge support. Since the foam and coil layers spring back to shape when pressure is removed, it is easy to move around on the mattress and change positions as needed.
The Beautyrest Black Cooling Upgrade also has a medium (5) firmness. The Beautyrest Black Cooling + Comfort Upgrade has a medium soft (4) feel that offers more of a body-hugging feel and additional pressure point relief.
What Is the Beautyrest Black Made Of?
The Beautyrest Black has a hybrid construction with four layers of foam and a pocketed coil support core. The 13-inch profile is slightly higher than average and may require deep pocket fitted sheets. The mattress should be used on a box spring, solid surface, or frame with properly spaced slats.
- Cover Material: The cover of the Beautyrest Black is made with a breathable material referred to as BlackICE. The proprietary fabric blend includes SilkAIR fibers to wick away moisture and help keep sleepers comfortable. The Cooling Upgrade and Cooling + Comfort Upgrade also have BlackICE fabric covers.
- Comfort Layers: The original Beautyrest Black has four foam layers in its comfort system. The top layers of Plush Comfort polyfoam and Medium Comfort polyfoam help relieve pressure on the shoulders and hips. A 1.5-inch layer of Energy polyfoam offers moderate contouring, while a 0.5-inch layer of gel-infused memory foam helps draw heat away. These layers help prevent sleepers from sinking into the support core below. All foams used are CertiPUR-US Certified.The Cooling Upgrade swaps the Energy polyfoam out for a layer of RightTemp carbon fiber foam and adds more gel-infused memory foam for better temperature regulation.The Cooling + Comfort Upgrade also includes the RightTemp layer and additional gel-infused memory foam, plus 2inches of memory foam for a softer feel. The pillow-top of the Cooling + Comfort Upgrade ensures top-notch pressure relief for sleepers. The added layers in the Cooling + Comfort Upgrade result in a 15-inch profile.
- Support Core: All three Beautyrest Black models have pocketed coil support cores. The coils add bounce and durability to the mattress while reducing motion transfer. The BeautyEdge foam encasement provides sturdy edge support when owners sleep or sit near the edge of the bed.
Does the Beautyrest Black Isolate Motion?
Though the Beautyrest Black has bouncy coils and resilient polyfoam layers, it isolates motion well. This is an important consideration for sleepers who share the bed with a partner or pet. Motion transfer refers to movements on one side of the bed that travel across the surface. In hybrid mattresses, coils add bounce for ease of movement, which can result in some motion transfer.
The Beautyrest Black has pocketed coils that respond individually when bearing weight, which helps the mattress isolate motion. The comfort system includes a layer of memory foam that helps absorb movements. Smaller movements, like shifting or changing positions throughout the night, are less likely to produce motion, but owners may notice more transfer when their partner gets in and out of bed. For sleepers who prioritize motion isolation, the thicker comfort system and additional layer of memory foam in the Beautyrest Black Cooling + Comfort Upgrade may be a better fit.
Does the Beautyrest Black Sleep Cool?
The Beautyrest Black has a temperature neutral feel. The breathable cover wicks away heat and moisture to help keep sleepers comfortable, even if they tend to sleep hot or sweat throughout the night. While foam tends to retain body heat, polyfoam is less likely to sleep hot than memory foam. The Beautyrest Black does not hug the body in the same way that a softer, memory foam mattress would, which allows air to circulate around the body. While there is a thin layer of memory foam, it is infused with gel to help draw heat away. The coil support core promotes airflow throughout the mattress and helps dissipate heat, which is the case for most hybrid mattresses.
Hot sleepers may want to consider the Cooling Upgrade or Cooling Comfort Upgrade, both of which include a layer of polyfoam infused with carbon fibers to help the mattress sleep cooler.
Will It Sag Along the Edges?
The Beautyrest Black has a BeautyEdge support system to prevent sagging along the edges. This thick foam encasement reinforces the perimeter of the coil support core and offers strong edge support for sleepers. Having a sturdy perimeter increases the usable surface area of a mattress for couples. It can make a small mattress feel larger.
For those who need assistance getting in and out of bed, edge support is essential. It is also beneficial for those who sit on the edge of the bed when putting on their shoes in the morning. While foam layers can be susceptible to impressions and sagging, the Beautyrest Black has a durable foam comfort system that should hold up over time.
Is It Good for Sex?
The Beautyrest Black is a good choice for many couples. The coils add bounce, making it easy to change positions during sex, while the foam layers provide decent traction without feeling too restrictive. Couples can move around easily on the mattress and the sturdy edges give them more usable surface area. The coil support core helps dissipate body heat and the cover wicks away heat and moisture. In general, hybrid mattresses are highly rated by couples, and the Beautyrest Black is no exception.
What About Off-gassing?
Some off-gassing is to be expected, as the Beautyrest Black has multiple foam layers. Off-gassing is caused by the release of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) as the mattress airs out. The foams used in the Beautyrest Black are CertiPUR-US Certified and low in VOCs, so any initial odor is minimal and should dissipate within a couple of days. Keeping the bedroom well-ventilated can help.
What Type of Sleeper Is the Beautyrest Black Mattress Best For?
The medium-feel foam comfort layers and coil support core of the Beautyrest Black appeal to a variety of sleepers, but the mattress is best suited to side and back sleepers. We’ll break down special considerations for each sleeping position here. In addition to personal preferences, shoppers should keep body weight in mind, which we’ll discuss in-depth later on.
- Side Sleepers: Side sleepers benefit from a contouring mattress that relieves pressure at the shoulders and hips while still supporting the spine. The Beautyrest Black offers top-notch support and pressure relief for side sleepers who weigh less than 230 pounds. The medium feel provides ample cushioning for the shoulders and hips while preventing sleepers from sinking in too deeply. Side sleepers who weigh more than 230 pounds may find the Beautyrest Black only provides fair support, as sleepers in this category typically need a firmer surface.
- Combination Sleepers: Combination sleepers alternate sleeping positions throughout the night, so they tend to prefer a medium to medium firm mattress that accommodates each position. These sleepers should consider their primary sleeping position when determining if the Beautyrest Black is a good fit. Combination sleepers who favor sleeping on their backs or sides should find that the Beautyrest Black is comfortable and supportive. Combination sleepers who primarily sleep on their stomachs may find the Beautyrest Black firm enough if they weigh less than 130 pounds, but those who weigh more may consider it too soft.
- Back Sleepers: Back sleepers need lumbar support, so ideally, their mattress should conform to the shape of the spine and relieve pressure. The Beautyrest Black is soft enough to relieve pressure for most back sleepers while still supporting the spine. For back sleepers who weigh less than 230 pounds, the mattress balances contouring and full-body support. Back sleepers who weigh more than 230 pounds may find it too soft, which can cause the abdomen to sink too deeply and put pressure on the spine.
How Does Body Weight Impact the Beautyrest Black Mattress' Performance?
Body weight will impact how firm and supportive the Beautyrest Black mattress feels. When we consider body weight, we place sleepers in three categories: those who weigh less than 130 pounds, those who weigh between 130 and 230 pounds, and those who weigh more than 230 pounds. Our recommendations are based on these categories, but keep in mind that sleeping positions and personal preferences will play important roles, too.
The Beautyrest Black is an excellent choice for sleepers who weigh less than 130 pounds. Sleepers in this weight category tend to benefit from a medium soft to medium mattress firmness. The medium feel of the Beautyrest Black offers gentle contouring for these sleepers, cushioning pressure points while keeping the spine aligned.
Back and side sleepers who weigh between 130 and 230 pounds also rate the Beautyrest Black highly. The foam comfort layers conform to the shape of the body, while the sturdy coil base ensures proper support. Stomach sleepers in this weight range tend to prefer a firmer mattress.
For sleepers who weigh more than 230 pounds, the Beautyrest Black may not feel supportive enough. Sleepers in this category often benefit from thick, firm comfort layers and ample support systems. This helps prevent them from sinking in too deeply and coming into contact with the support core.
Is the Beautyrest Black Mattress Good for Couples?
The Beautyrest Black is a good choice for couples if both parties are primarily back or side sleepers who weigh less than 230 pounds. In general, hybrid mattresses offer multiple benefits for couples. The Beautyrest Black is a supportive, temperature neutral mattress. The coil base and reinforced perimeter give couples plenty of support and usable space.
The mattress makes minimal noise when bearing weight. It also isolates most movements, so those who share the bed shouldn’t be disturbed if their partner tends to toss and turn. It’s easy to move around on, which is an important consideration for amorous activities. It also sleeps fairly cool and wicks away heat and moisture.
Beautyrest's Trial, Warranty, and Shipping Policies
|Availability||The Beautyrest Black can be purchased online, or at mattress stores and retail partners throughout the United States. Using their zip code, shoppers can locate nearby mattress stores on the Beautyrest website|
|Shipping||Beautyrest ships to the contiguous United States, but does not currently offer shipping to Alaska or Hawaii. Beautyrest provides free White Glove delivery for the Beautyrest Black, which includes delivery, set-up, and the removal of packaging and your old mattress.
Beautyrest partners with XPO Logistics for delivery. Purchasers are contacted by XPO Logistics via email to schedule their delivery online. Since the Beautyrest Black is shipped via White Glove delivery, someone must be present for delivery. The day before delivery, the couriers will reach out to confirm a four-hour delivery window.
The company lists current production times on the product page. Orders are currently processed, shipped, and delivered within 4 to 6 weeks.
|Additional Services||Old mattress removal is included with White Glove delivery. The old mattress must be in sanitary condition to be removed at the time of delivery. Customers receive one mattress removal for each mattress ordered.|
|Sleep Trial||Beautyrest offers a 100-night sleep trial. There is no mandatory break-in period, so customers can initiate a return at any point during the sleep trial. In the event of a return, Beautyrest helps coordinate mattress pickup and issues a full refund. There are no return or restocking fees.|
|Warranty||The Beautyrest Black includes a 10-year, non-prorated warranty that covers defects in materials and manufacturing. In the event of a defect, Beautyrest will replace the mattress but the customer may be responsible for transportation charges.|