Canadian mattress company Silk & Snow launched in 2017 on the back of a highly successful
Kickstarter campaign. This review will take an in-depth look at the company's flagship memory foam model, known as the S&S Mattress.
The S&S Mattress is constructed with three foam layers, measuring 10 inches thick altogether. A big selling point of the mattress is its cover, which can be removed for washing and is infused with silver for antimicrobial protection. The mattress is considered medium firm, or a 6 on the 1-10 firmness scale, which makes it suitable for a fairly wide range of sleepers.
In addition to the S&S Mattress, Silk & Snow sells the S&S Hybrid, which pairs memory foam with pocketed coils made from Canadian steel. In this review we’ll walk you through the construction and performance of the flagship S&S Mattress.
Silk & Snow Mattresses At-A-Glance
|S&S Mattress||S&S Hybrid|
|Firmness||Medium Firm (6)||Medium Firm (6)|
|Mattress Type||Memory Foam||Hybrid|
Silk & Snow Mattress Review: Our Verdict
|Choose the Silk & Snow Original if...||
|Keep Shopping if...||
How Much Is the Silk & Snow Mattress?
The S&S Mattress has a price-point that is slightly below average for an all-foam model. For those interested in a mattress with coils, the S&S Hybrid is slightly more expensive than the memory foam original model.
|Twin||39” x 75” x 10”||43 lbs||$650|
|Twin XL||39” x 80” x 10”||48 lbs||$650|
|Full||54” x 75” x 10”||65 lbs||$725|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 10”||76 lbs||$800|
|King||76” x 80” x 10”||91 lbs||$950|
|California King||72” x 84” x 10”||95 lbs||$950|
How Does the Silk and Snow Feel?
With its medium firm (6) feel, the S&S Mattress has a firmer touch than many memory foam mattresses. The bed is constructed using memory foam with a density of 4 pounds per cubic foot (PCF). This results in a pressure-relieving cradle without excessive sinkage. For those who prefer the feeling of sleeping “in” their bed, this may be a downside. The surface feel is closer to a combination of sleeping both “in” and “on” the mattress, with better ease of movement than beds built with lower-density foam.
Some value-priced memory foam mattresses use thin comfort layers, causing sleepers to sink into the firmer, denser support core. The S&S Mattress reduces this sinkage with a transitional layer of high-density polyfoam, which provides added support and cushioning for the body.
Despite its balanced feel, the S&S Mattress is still a memory foam mattress, and isn’t likely to win over those who prefer the feel of a more traditional innerspring. However, those who tend to experience pressure points on less pressure-relieving beds may find it more comfortable than polyfoam or innerspring options.
What Is the Silk & Snow Original Made Of?
The S&S Mattress shares a similar design with many of its all-foam competitors. Individual components include a memory foam comfort layer, polyfoam transitional layer, and high-density support core.
The cover is made from a silver-infused polyester and spandex blend. Silver is naturally antimicrobial, and can help prevent the buildup of mold, mildew, and other allergens.. The cover can be unzipped and removed for cleaning.
The S&S Mattress also uses denser memory foam than many of its competitors. The material offers a more resilient feel while still cradling and contouring to the body. Our testers felt as though they were sleeping both “in” and “on” the bed, rather than sinking into it deeply.
- Cover Material: Unzippable and easy to wash, the polyester-spandex blend cover clings to the mattress for minimal sagging and creasing. The fabric is also infused with silver for its antimicrobial properties.
- Comfort Layers: A 2-inch layer of 4 PCF memory foam provides exceptional pressure relief without the intense sinking feeling found in some memory foam mattresses. This layer is followed by a 2-inch layer of transitional polyfoam, providing additional support while preventing sleepers from sinking excessively.
- Support Core: High-density polyfoam makes up the support core of this mattress. At 6 inches thick, the core provides stability and support for the entire mattress but does have downsides such as poor edge support and airflow.
Does It Isolate Motion?
Memory foam mattresses are generally the best at isolating motion, and the S&S Mattress is no exception. Our sleep testers reported very little transfer when their partner turned over or changed positions, and that their sleep was not disturbed by movement. The mattress failed to score a full five points due to its relatively poor edge support, which caused it to dip when someone got in and out of bed. We expect that even very light sleepers are unlikely to be disturbed when sleeping in the S&S Mattress.
Does It Sleep Cool?
The S&S Mattress offers slightly better-than-average temperature neutrality compared to other all-foam models. However, these mattresses generally struggle with excessive heat retention and lack of airflow. Our testers mostly found the mattress comfortable even in warm weather, but those who identified as very hot sleepers reported that it felt warm and slightly damp halfway through the night. This issue can be somewhat alleviated with bedding made of moisture-wicking fabrics such as cotton or Tencel, but people who tend to sleep warm may prefer the S&S Hybrid due to its consistent airflow through its pocketed coils.
Will It Sag Along the Edges?
The S&S Mattress, like most competing all-foam models, features a high-density polyfoam support core. While it offers good durability for its price and provides sleepers with sturdy support, high-density polyfoam does not offer much structural support around the perimeter. This causes the bed to dip when someone sits on the edge, and people who sleep near the perimeter might feel as though they'll roll off the bed. Edge support tends to be most important to couples, who may feel as though they are limited to the center of the mattress and cannot use the full sleep surface. People with mobility concerns may also prefer a mattress that allows them to sit comfortably on the edge.
Is It Good for Sex?
Most couples will fin the S&S Mattress its less suitable for sex than bouncier, more responsive models. Memory foam absorbs movement, which can force couples to work harder than they would on a bouncier surface. However, the S&S Mattress is no worse for sex than the average memory form model, and indeed it performs better in this category than some of its competitors. This slightly improved score can be attributed to the bed's 4 PCF memory foam, which is fairly dense and therefore less “shock absorbing” than the lower-density foams used in other beds.
What About Off-gassing?
Similar to a “new car smell”, all memory foam mattresses produce an odor when new. This smell is due to volatile organic chemicals, or VOCs, which are byproducts of the foam manufacturing process. The S&S Mattress emits initial odors that are stronger than average. However, our testers reported that within 24 hours the smell had faded enough to sleep on the bed with no concerns, and that within three days of unboxing it had faded completely.
What Type of Sleeper Is the Silk & Snow Mattress Best For?
- Side Sleepers: Sleeping on your side is one of the best positions for spinal health, but the position requires cushioning to prevent painful pressure points at the shoulder and hip. Memory foam mattresses are often ideal for side sleepers, and our side-sleeping testers awarded favorable ratings to the S&S Mattress Side sleepers weighing less than 130 pounds found the mattress a bit too firm, but heavier testers who use this position were more comfortable. The use of denser foam promotes even spinal alignment and alleviates lower back pain. The mattress even outperformed the S&S Hybrid among our side sleepers between 130 and 230 lbs.
- Stomach Sleepers: The S&S Mattress earned average ratings from stomach sleepers, which is to be expected from a memory foam mattress. Stomach sleepers require a mattress that alleviates enough pressure to prevent tension in the shoulders while still providing even support through the pelvis and thighs. Some stomach sleepers may find the S&S Mattress comfortable at first, but over time they may experience lower back pain and next-day stiffness from uneven spinal alignment. Instead, stomach sleepers should consider the S&S Hybrid. The combination of soothing memory foam and a responsive pocketed coil core results in better pelvic support and spinal alignment.
- Back Sleepers: Our back sleepers found that the S&S Mattress provided a comfortable balance of support and pressure relief. This was particularly true for our testers weighing between 130 and 230 lbs, thanks to the bed’s medium firm feel and denser memory foam comfort layer. Back sleepers require pelvic support, but the position tends to place less pressure on this area than stomach sleeping. Sinking slightly against the bed while lying on your back also follows the natural curve of the spine, and therefore minimizes pain related to improper spinal alignment. The S&S Mattress delivers adequate support for back sleepers weighing up to 230 pounds, but heavier individuals who use this position will probably sink to an excessive degree.
How Does Body Weight Impact Performance
Along with sleep position preference, weight plays a major role in whether a mattress is suitable for any given sleeper. The medium firm feel and relatively dense memory foam of the S&S Mattress make it reasonably comfortable for most sleepers regardless of weight, but it is best suited to those who weigh between 130 and 230 lbs. Depending on their sleep position, our testers in this weight range ranked the S&S Mattress as “average” to “excellent”, praising its sturdy support and consistent pressure relief.
Our testers who weighed above 230 lbs agreed, but only side sleepers in this category gave the mattress favorable ratings. For back and stomach sleepers in this weight group, the bed was fairly comfortable but lacked the support necessary for even alignment. Some found they sank too deeply despite the cradling transitional layer.
Testers who weigh less than 130 lbs were less comfortable on the S&S Mattress. This is due in part to the bed’s medium firm feel. Lighter people compress memory foam less and therefore the material feels firmer to them as opposed to those who weigh more. The denser memory foam also contours less to the body for people in this weight group, which may cause pressure points to develop for side or stomach sleepers.
Is It Good for Couples?
The S&S Mattress has upsides and downsides for couples. One highlight is the bed's ability to absorb motion and eliminate transfer when one person changes positions or gets up during the night. Superior motion isolation is a common quality among memory foam mattresses.
In other areas important to many couples — such as sex, edge support, and temperature neutrality — the S&S Mattress earned below-average ratings. The S&S Hybrid, on the other hand, provides strong edge support, good responsiveness for sex, and consistent temperature regulation. Like other hybrids, this model won't isolate motion as well and the coils may produce some noise from time to time. Couples should decide which factors are most important when choosing between the S&S Mattress and S&S Hybrid.
Silk & Snow’s Trial, Warranty, and Shipping Policies
|Availability||The S&S Mattress can be purchased through the Silk & Snow official website or at the company's brick-and-mortar showroom in Toronto, Ontario. The mattress is not available through Amazon or any other third-party retailers, and buying it secondhand voids any original warranty.|
|Shipping||Silk & Snow is a Canadian company, and all mattresses are manufactured in Ontario, Canada. They offer shipping throughout both Canada and all 50 US states. Shipping is free for Canadian provinces and the contiguous U.S., but customers in the Canadian territories, Hawaii, and Alaska must pay additional shipping fees. Various courier services are used to ship the mattress, which arrives compressed in a 15” X 15” X 43” box.|
|Additional Services||Silk & Snow does not offer White Glove delivery or old mattress pick-up at this time. While the mattress is not particularly unwieldy, unboxing will likely be easier with a friend on hand to help.|
|Sleep Trial||Silk & Snow offers a 100-night sleep trial for all of its mattresses. Customers must sleep on their mattress for an initial 30-day “break-in” period before initiating any returns, as it can take up to four weeks to become accustomed to a new mattress and for it to return to its proper shape. After this time, customers can return the mattress for a full refund minus any initial shipping fees. Refunds are usually processed within two to fourteen business days — with the majority occurring within two days — and the company will arrange to pick up the used mattress for disposal or donation.|
|Warranty||The S&S Mattress comes with a 15-year, partially prorated warranty. For the first 10 years, the company will repair or replace your mattress (at their discretion) while only charging shipping costs. After that point, owners must pay 75% of the original price, plus shipping and handling, to replace the mattress. The warranty applies only to the original owner and covers lingering impressions of 2" or greater, manufacturing flaws leading to deterioration, and problems with the zipper not due to owner misuse.|